City Council Minutes
4/23/2008 10:48:36 AM
4/10/2008 9:56:36 PM
CC - Minutes
There are no annotations on this page.
Document management portal powered by Laserfiche WebLink 9 © 1998-2015
All rights reserved.
Pages to print
Enter page numbers and/or page ranges separated by commas. For example, 1,3,5-12.
After downloading, print the document using a PDF reader (e.g. Adobe Reader).
View plain text
<br />~~~ <br /> <br />M I NUT E S <br /> <br />CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF ARCADIA <br /> <br />STUDY SESSION <br /> <br />MARCH 28, 1963 <br /> <br />The City Council of the City of Arcadia met in study session in the <br />Conference Room of the City Hall at 7:30 P.M. March 28, 1963, <br /> <br />I <br /> <br />PRESENT: Councilmen Balser, Phillips, Reibold, Turner, Butterworth <br /> <br />Extensive discussion held on the possibility of permitting apartment <br />buildings at eight story heights. <br /> <br />Builder Mike Vallone, with his staff of architects, was present and <br />presented plans for a proposed eight story elaborate apartment building <br />at 614 West Huntington Drive. The building would have 110 units with <br />1-1/2 car spaces per unit. The building would utilize 18% of the land <br />and the remaining 82% would be in greenery and recreation facilities <br />such as two swimming pools, tennis court, etc. <br /> <br />Charts were distributed and slides were shown. Many comparisons were <br />shown - between existing apartment building construction and the <br />proposed construction. The building would be so constructed as to not <br />block the view of other properties. <br /> <br />Purpose of this presentation by the representatives of Mr. Vallone was <br />to explore Council's acceptance and thinking. <br /> <br />Council reminded Mr. Vallone that the zoning ordinance would first <br />have to be amended to permit eight story heights and discussion was <br />held on whether or not the timing was right for such a step in the City. <br /> <br />Dr. Ralph F. Erlingheuser, 404 E. Las Tunas Boulevard, San Gabriel, also <br />made an extensive presentation on his proposal to build an eight story <br />apartment building on the southwest corner of Huntington Drive and <br />La Cadena Avenue. Present plans call for a two story building, but he <br />also desired an e~pression from Council as to whether or not it would <br />entertain action to amend the zoning ordinance to permit high rise <br />buildings in the near future. Dr. Erlingheuser spoke at length, his <br />presentation encompassing plans to build a 48 unit building, two car <br />spaces per unit, swimming pool, etc. He also exhibited renderings. <br /> <br />I <br /> <br />Discussion continued. Councilman Balser was of the opinion that the <br />residents would not accept high rise at this time. <br /> <br />Councilman Phillips stated in part that high rise was inevitable, it <br />just being a question of the proper time within which to proceed. <br /> <br />Councilman Reibold felt the matter centered around whether or not the <br />buildings were acceptable or not, whether high rise would be good or <br />bad for the city. He also felt it was inevitable. <br /> <br />Councilman Turner was of the opinion that if the residents could be <br />provided with the reasons why such a move were taken, and that such <br />construction would eliminate inferior apartment buildings, which would <br />have to be razed in ten or fifteen years, resistance might be eliminated <br />or reduced. <br /> <br />1. <br /> <br />3- 28- 63 <br />
The URL can be used to link to this page
Your browser does not support the video tag.